Intro. & Con. [Grace]

Research Introduction

There are many things that make up a religion such as guidelines, languages, rules, beliefs, and events – but does anyone ever wonder how food ties in with some type of religion? Afterall, food itself reflects the identity of a person. In truth, I think that a lot of people concentrate on one of the more well-known topics, such as beliefs and national holidays. However, that doesn’t make up the whole religion. Besides, in many religions, laws are established about food. I chose this topic because I am quite close to many Muslim people. I knew that they couldn’t eat pork, but I really didn’t know why it was so important. When I asked them, they would say that pork was dirty because it consumed dirty food. However, if the food was dirty, why would other religions allow it? That was when I started wondering about how all of this ties in with the religion itself and how it originated. What are the Muslim dietary rules and how did it develop/originate? Well, surprisingly enough, food ties in with a lot of the ingredients that make up a religion.

Research Conclusion

The Muslim dietary laws are said to have been composed by the prophet, Mohammad shortly after his first revelation. From source 3a, it is said that the angel Gabriel dictated the laws to Mohammad around 620 AD. The 3 main things that make up the laws are sunnah, the deeds, hadith, the sayings, and the Qu’ran. Main points covered in this research are: what Muslims can and can’t eat, the origins of the Muslim dietary laws, halal and haram, the Ramadan fasting, abstinence, Halal certification, and the differences between Islam and Judaism concerning food. Muslims cannot eat haram food, wich includes pork and alcohol. When in Ramadan fasting, it is required that the follower not drink, eat, spray perfume, or have sexual intercourse from dusk to sunset, or when a black thread can be distingused from a white one. Since the sources I got were all informational as opposed to interviews or news articles, I found them quite neutral apart from when they were talking about how valid a Halal certification really was, since they kind of hinted that there were probably some organizations out there that are not actually valid. Food plays a huge role in the lives of the Muslims. Since many of their holidays have something to do with abstinence, it is often that on their holidays they would not eat, like the Ramadan fasting for example. Also, the Muslim dietary laws are based purely on what Allah has written in the Qu’ran.